L.A. County Facts
- In 2013, LA County was home to 654,277 children under 5 years of age, half of whom lived below 70% of State Median Income
- The median income was $55,909. However, the average family who receives child care vouchers from Alliance agencies earns $16,241.
- Early childhood educators earn an average income of $24,680. Mostly due to cost pressures, L.A. County lost 11,200 FCCH spaces (15%) between 2008-2011
- Parents spend 32% of their income on child care costs (U.S. Census Bureau, 2011). However, the costs are prohibitive for families that qualify for subsidized child care
- 37% of infants and toddlers live in working families that are low income
- In Los Angeles County, families that are low-income (excluding Welfare-to-Work parents) qualify for a voucher program knows as Alternative Payment. In Los Angeles County, total children served in this program were 5,200 children while the waiting lists reached 43,000.